If we are to live a life governed by the glorious gospel of Jesus the Christ, we need not seek behavior modification but rather a heart renovation.
Here are three ways we can be governed by the gospel:
1. Intentionality. We must make an intentional, Spirit-empowered effort to absolutely avoid all that serves as a hindrance to us in obeying God.
2. Intensity. As the psalmist exhorts, we must intensely“seek God with our whole heart” (Ps. 119:b). We can only seek God with a whole and undivided heart when it first has been shattered to pieces.
3. Restoration. The restoration of the heart is inaugurated when we acknowledge the density of our depravity, the holiness of God and the atoning work of Jesus Christ in our place, for our sin, on the cross.
Jesus wants to make sure that as his disciples, we realize the radical nature of what it means to be gospel-governed.
If we are to live a gospel-governed life, we must be ready to authentically answer questions that have to do with the internal state of our soul.
Here are 10 questions that will help us honestly assess the state of our current spiritual condition:
- Do I really understand what the gospel is?
- Do I understand with my heart and not just theoretically what Jesus accomplished in my place on the cross?
- Do I understand how my life can be gospel-governed?
- Have I declared Jesus as Lord over every single part of my life?
- Is bringing glory to Jesus the all-consuming factor behind everything I do in life?
- Am I intentional about submitting all of my life to Jesus?
- What area of my life do I need to make gospel-governed?
- What sin do I need to repent of/from?
- What are the hindrances or obstacles that are preventing me from living a gospel-centered, gospel-governed life?
- Do I understand that either I am living a gospel-centered life or I am not living a life at all?
May the gospel of Jesus Christ be the governing mechanism in us and may it be the exclusive and central source of life for us.
Let us pursue wholeheartedly a gospel-governed life in which being consumed by following Jesus is the absolute epicenter of our entire existence.
Question: What was one “take-away” or “aha” moment that you experienced during this series on a Gospel-Governed life?
Thank you for reading this post. If you enjoyed it, be sure to utilize the “share” buttons below this post to spread the good news. To make sure you don’t miss my newest posts, you can subscribe via RSS or EMAIL.