It has been a full two days since I landed in Moscow, Russia. The one thought that I do have is that Russia is exactly how I expected it to be.
Here are some initial thoughts after less than half a week in Moscow, Russia:
- The traffic is horrendous. It makes LA and NYC traffic look like the autobahn. By all means use the metro.
- The service at various establishments (at least in my experience) is better than expected.
- People don’t make eye contact or smile much on metro, shopping areas, etc.
- Everyone smokes everywhere.
- Free wifi is virtually accessible everywhere in the city.
- No Apple Moscow but everyone owns multiple iPads.
- Young and old alike are glued to their cell phone screens.
- Russians do love to use English words converted into Russian on a majority of advertisements (e.g. “гипермаркет” (hypermarket) кофэ брейк (coffee break) ланч (lunch) кофэ хаус (coffee house) таун хаус (town house) колледж (college) менеджмент (management).
- One facility shared by multiple churches is not uncommon.
- Social projects and sporting events are a big hit with the youth.