I quit. My resignation is final. There is not much that you can do about it. There is nothing you can say that will make me rescind my decision. I want to officially resign from a job that I most likely will never be successful at. I have no idea how I got to doing it in the first place. I should have known better. Why spend your entire life doing something that does not benefit people or bring glory to God? Honestly, I resigned a long time ago but wanted to tell you today, about my decision. I am really done this time. Yes, for me – this is the end. I have had enough. Please do not be disappointed if you no longer see me doing the following things:
1. Worrying About What Is Out Of My Control. This just adds stress and anxiety to my life. I am sure it adds that to yours as well. Jesus said to not worry about tomorrow. For tomorrow will worry about itself. I am going to take what Jesus said literally. And start applying it to my life. Immediately. Starting right now. I suggest you do the same. Worrying will not empty tomorrow of its troubles. But it will empty you of the strength you have for today.
2. Trying to Please People Who Refuse To Be Pleased. You won’t see me doing this job anymore. Someone else can. Until they realize the insanity of it. When I fear what people think of me, it disables me to do what God wants me to do. Am I going to love people like Jesus loves them? Absolutely! How about trying to live in peace with all? You better believe it! Outdoing one another in showing honor? You bet. But trying to please people, who refuse to be pleased? I am out.
3. Thinking That Any Type Of Desired Growth Will Happen Overnight. You can definitely take me off the list for this one. No more thinking that one sermon, or one community group, or one coffee chat will catapult the listener into a sphere of maturity, akin to the late Apostle Paul. Am I in it for the long haul? Yes sir. Will any type of desired growth take years, if not decades to come to light? That is the truth, my friend. No more illusions of magic bullets. Blood, sweat and tears. A vibrant prayer life. You won’t realize Jesus is all you need, until Jesus is all you have. Stick a fork in me, I am done. I suggest you bail on this job as well – it won’t end well.
4. Expecting That People Will Understand And Appreciate Me. You can take this job and have it, because I certainly do not want it. No more allowing that barista who forgot the ristretto, to ruin my day. No more being upset with the fact that only 24 hours exist in one day. No more being frustrated that the latest idea falls flat upon deaf ears. No more being upset when the people closest to you, that seem like they want to be far away from you. Bearing one another’s burdens? You better believe it! Extending love like Jesus extends love towards me? No doubt about it. Appreciating people in my life, instead of waiting to be appreciated? Yes, please. The universe does not revolve around me. Or you. So I resign from this job. I hope you do too.
I am sorry that it had to end this way. I know you were not expecting this. I hope that I have not failed you. Even if I did, Jesus never will.
- I thought I could control tomorrow – but I am just going to submit to the One who creates tomorrow.
- I thought I could please everyone some of the time – but I am just going to love Jesus, all the time.
- I thought that the Word should sink in immediately – but I realize that for it to take full effect, it will need to marinate, slowly.
- I thought that everyone thinks like me and agrees with me – but I realized that the universe does not revolved around me, but rather around the One who created me.
So there you have it. Always available to give you the truth, even if it hurts – because I know it heals. Will continue to preach the gospel of Jesus, which has the power to save.
Thank you for your patience with me – while I held this job, doing the above four things. But today, I am officially resigning – and will pursue better, more gospel-centered endeavors.
Quitting has never felt better.
Please accept my resignation.
I will be waiting for yours shortly. 🙂