Let’s be honest. As amazing as you already are, there are things that you can do to make yourself a more pleasant person to be around with. Here are 10 ways that you can become a more pleasant person starting today:
1. Don’t talk about yourself always. The people with whom you’re having a conversation are also equally as amazing. Get to know more about them.
A quality conversation is one in which the other person is the center of attention.
2. Give undivided attention to people. Don’t text or scroll through social media when you are speaking with someone else. Look into their eyes. Focus on their facial expressions. Pay attention to their body language. Be fully engaged in the conversation.
3. Listen to a story without trying to compete with it. Yes, it might be true that you have a story that is a lot more exciting than the one which you are listening to right now. But give the other person the benefit of your attention. Instead of trying to think of a story you want to share with them – think of questions you want to ask about their story in which you want to find out more about the other person.
4. Rejoice with those who rejoice.
Liberate yourself from feeling that you need to compete with someone when they share a success with you.
Celebrate with them and provide encouragement to them.
5. Find a way to say yes more often.
6. Provide constant encouragement. Whatever gets complemented gets repeated
7. A relationship is a process, not a project. So don’t treat it like a lab experiment.
8. Call someone instead of texting them. I know this can be super scary but trust me you will experience actual human interaction. It will be good for you.
9. Evaluate every single situation Biblically, not culturally or even personally.
10. Vulnerability is the new currency. Open up to someone you trust about your hurts, habits and hang-up’s. It’s okay not to be okay. But it’s not okay to stay that way.
Instead of focusing on a problem that needs to be solved, focus on the person that needs to be a loved.
In every single one of these things, think of how you can put on display the gospel of Jesus, to the watching world.
Question: What else would you add to this list? What mistakes from the above have you made in your daily interactions with people?